Select Page

There have been at least 500 suspected cases and 131 suspected deaths associated ⁠with the outbreak, according to the World Health ​Organization.

State Department Stops Visa Services for 3 CountriesAfter U.S. health officials imposed restrictions on travel from multiple African countries amid an Ebola outbreak, the State Department said that visa services are paused and that no appointments will be scheduled in Uganda, South Sudan, or the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

A health order signed by acting Centers for Disease Control and Prevention chief Dr. Jay Bhattacharya on Monday suspended people from those three countries from entering the United States due to the risk posed by Ebola, a virus that health authorities say can cause severe disease or death.

The CDC said that, for the next 30 days, the U.S. government would ban the entry of all foreign nationals who had visited Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan over the past three weeks, and take measures to identify individuals with Ebola symptoms at ports of entry.

There have been at least 500 suspected cases and 130 suspected deaths from Ebola ​since the new outbreak began, World Health ​Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus ​said on May 19.

Later figures put the toll at 131 fatalities associated ⁠with the outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

This week, following orders and statements from the CDC and WHO, the State Department said that visa operations in Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan have been suspended.

“This pause includes applications for immigrant visas as well as nonimmigrant visas for tourists, business travelers, students, exchange visitors, and all other nonimmigrant categories. Affected visa applicants have been notified,” the State Department said in a May 18 statement.

The department added that currently, “no visa appointments can be scheduled at U.S. Embassy Juba, U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, or U.S. Embassy Kampala,” referring to the embassy buildings in the three African nations’ respective capital cities.

“We will update our website when appointment scheduling resumes and inform applicants directly when they can reschedule,” it said

It said that currently valid visas from South Sudan, the Congo, and Uganda are not impacted by the Ebola-related pause in operations.

The outbreak is primarily located in Ituri and North Kivu provinces, located in the eastern part of the Congo, according to the WHO. The provinces border Uganda and South Sudan.

Eastern Congo has long grappled with a humanitarian crisis and the threat of armed groups that have killed dozens and displaced thousands in Ituri in the past year.

The outbreak is in a remote eastern part of Congo, with poor road networks and more than 600 miles from the country’s capital, Kinshasa.

Rwanda closed its land border with Congo on Sunday. Ugandan authorities said there was no evidence that Ebola was spreading within the country, and said that surveillance has been heightened along its border with Congo.

A mother helps her children wash their hands before entering Kyeshero Hospital in Goma on May 18, 2026. Jospin Mwisha / AFP via Getty Images

The United Nations said on Tuesday that the Ebola-impacted provinces in the Congo, including Ituri and North Kivu, “are home to more than two million internally displaced people and returnees, while healthcare capacity remains weakened by conflict.”

Earlier this week, the WHO said the Ebola outbreak centered in eastern Congo’s Ituri province is a public health emergency of international concern.
Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today
GLA NEWS